Getting started with R for busy people
An online course by Olivier Simard-CasanovaGo to lessons
Bonjour ! My name is Olivier Simard-Casanova. I am an independent economist, data scientist and writer — and I am the author of this course.
Have you ever wanted to learn R, but were too busy to explore the Internet to find a good introductory course? I am offering you one, specificially designed for busy people.
What you will learn
- How to work productively with R, RStudio and the popular Tidyverse
- How to import and prepare your data
- How to do basics and advanced statistics
- How to make beautiful plots
- How to make your code future-proof
- How to dive deeper into R
What the course is
- The course is for everyone, regardless of your field (you do not need to be an economist to take this course) and experience with R and writing code
- The course does not just teach you the basics of R. The course also teaches you how to work productively with R, and how to learn more by yourself post-completion. Busy people need to work productively — today, but also tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.
- The course is built upon my personal knowledge and experience. I wrote my first line of R code in 2014. I learned R all by myself. The course is the course I wish I had when I got started in 2014. When you are a busy person, you do not have the luxury to spend years learning by trial-and-error.
- The course teaches you how to use R in real life. Things often do not go according to plan. A good introductory course is a course where you learn how to recover quickly when it happens.
- The course is built so that you can easily get back to it post-completion. Use it as a reference point.
- The course is text-based so that you can search its content easily. Videos are great, but they are not searchable.
- The course is enjoyable and rewarding. Writing code is great, learning is great. And R, RStudio and the Tidyverse are also great!
What the course is not
- The course is not a comprehensive introductory course. You will learn what you need to use R productively. No more, no less.
- The course is not a crash course. We will not cut corners.
- The course is not long, but the course is not super short either. When you are a busy person, it makes sense to take one extra hour today to learn something that will save a lot more hours tomorrow.
Buy immediate access
Give the course a try before buying it. The first four lessons are free.
Purchasing the course gives you immediate access to several perks
What you will get
Buy for $349
- Immediate access to the course
- Access to all future updates
- Help by email if you get stuck
- One free year of DictionR, my collection of ready-to-use snippets of R code
- A 25% lifetime discount over the public price on booking any number of Zoom calls with me to discuss your R projects
- Terms apply
Interested in volume purchase — for your team, your students, etc.? Email me at
- Free Lesson 1 · Philosophy of the course
- Free Lesson 2 · Writing code is (probably) not what you think
- Free Lesson 3 · Install R and RStudio
- Free Lesson 4 · Your first R code
Get your data ready
Statistics and plots
Make your code future-proof
- Lesson 13 · Debugging variable type errors
- Lesson 14 · Make your code future-proof with
- Lesson 15 · Good practices
- Lesson 16 · Keep your installation of R and RStudio up-to-date
- Lesson 17 · Dive deeper into R